Bell Schedules for Regular and Inclement Weather Days
With return to full in-person learning, we are returning to our pre-pandemic bell schedule!
School Hours (All Grades)
- Monday - Friday: 9:20 a.m. - 4:05 p.m.
- Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The best time to arrive each day is between 9 and 9:10 a.m. This gives students time to walk to their classrooms, put away their things, and get ready for the day. Kiss and Ride will end at 9:20 a.m.
A child who is not in his/her classroom at 9:20 a.m. is recorded as TARDY. If your child arrives after 9:20 a.m., you must park your car, bring your child into the Main Office, and sign in him or her in the tardy logbook.
Please do not drop off your children too early! Staff members are busy preparing for the arrival of students in the morning and do not report to their duty stations until 9 a.m. Therefore, we appreciate you making the effort to arrive at school no earlier than 9 a.m. There is no adult supervision available before that time.
Please do not ever drop off your child in the Kiss and Ride lane after the adult supervisors have returned to the building. It is not safe!
School Closing, Delayed Opening or Early Dismissal
In the event of inclement weather such as snow, ice, or extreme heat or cold, or other emergencies, the Division Superintendent may decide to:
- close schools for the day
- open schools two hours late
- close schools two hours early.
All emergency closings and delayed openings shall be announced in the following ways:
- posted on the Fairfax County Public Schools website: www.fcps.edu
- sent by electronic mail (e-mail)
- carried on the division’s public access channel, Cox Cable Channel 21
- provided to local radio and television stations.
FCPS strives to make closing and delayed-opening decisions and to notify local radio and television stations no later than 5:30 a.m.
Early-closing decisions are usually made and provided to local stations no later than 10:30 a.m.
If FCPS decides to close:
- All schools shall be closed for the day.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, adult- and community education classes, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled.
- All offices are open unless the closing of offices is specified.
Two-Hour Delayed Opening Schedule
If FCPS decides to open late:
- Students shall report two hours later than their regularly scheduled time. Lane will open at 11:20 a.m. and close at the regular time, 4:05 p.m.
- Morning field trips are canceled.
- All offices are open at the regular time unless the closing of offices is specified. In such situations, Lane's Front Office should open at 8:30 a.m. as usual, but please call (703-924-7700) before you visit on a delayed-opening day to make sure someone will be in the office when you arrive.
PLEASE NOTE: With any delayed opening, the buses will arrive to pick up the students two hours later than the regularly scheduled time.
Two-Hour Early Dismissal
If FCPS decides to close two hours early:
- Students will be dismissed two hours earlier than their regularly scheduled time. Lane will release students at 2:05 p.m.
- Afternoon field trips are canceled. After-school and evening programs are canceled.