Getting to and from School
Your child’s “transportation” is the way he or she gets to and from school on a regular basis. You will let us know at the beginning of the school year if your child is a bus rider, a Kiss and Ride passenger, a walker, or a bike rider. We must be notified, in writing, of any permanent changes to this routine. Please review the information below for Arrival and Dismissal Procedures for each mode of transportation.
Morning Arrival Procedures
Our school hours are 9:20 a.m. to 4:05 p.m., Monday through Friday.
The best time to arrive each day is between 9 a.m. and 9:10 a.m. This gives them time to put away their things and get ready for the day.
Children who arrive before 9:10 will go to either the Gym (grades 1 - 6) or Cafeteria (kindergarten) until 9:10. After 9:10, students will walk directly to their classrooms.
Breakfast is served in the Cafeteria from 9 until 9:15 a.m. Children may eat breakfast if they arrive in the Cafeteria between 9 and 9:10 a.m.
Students who live within a mile of the school are considered "Walkers."
- No bus transportation will be provided.
- Walkers will enter the school through Door #2, along with Kiss and Ride students.
We appreciate students wanting to ride their bikes to school.
Students in grades 4 through 6 are welcome to ride to school.
- Bikes can be locked up on the bike rack located near the cafeteria. Lane/FCPS does not assume responsibility for any damage or loss of property.
- Helmets must be warn at all times when riding on school grounds.
- Students who live more than a mile away from the school or have to cross a major road to get to school are provided with free bus transportation.
- Bus stops and routes are determined by the FCPS Office of Transportation Services, not by the school.
- Bus-route information is usually made available to parents the week before school begins each fall. Due to security and student-privacy concerns, we do not post the bus routes on our public website or provide them by email. Paper copies will be mailed to all families before school begins and are available in the Front Office.
Kiss and Ride Students
Students who get to school by car must be dropped off ONLY in the designated Kiss and Ride lane on the north side of the building. Drivers must obey all posted traffic directions and follow the directions of staff members.
Kiss and Ride will close at 9:15 a.m. to ensure all students have time to get to their classrooms by 9:20. If you arrive at school after Kiss and Ride closes, you MUST park your car, bring your child into the Front Office, and sign him/her into the tardy logbook. Never leave your child alone and unattended in the Kiss and Ride lane. It is not safe!
Please do not drop off your children too early. Children who do not eat breakfast will be supervised starting at 8:55 a.m. Staff members are busy preparing for the arrival of students in the morning and do not report to their duty stations until 8:55. Therefore, we appreciate you making the effort to arrive at school no earlier than 8:55.
A child who arrives in the classroom after 9:20 a.m. is considered TARDY. If you know ahead of time that your child is going to be late or absent for the entire day, please call the school attendance line (703-924-7777) before 9:20 a.m. If the school does not receive a call from the parent, the absence/tardy will automatically be considered unexcused. See Absences and Attendance for more information.
Kiss and Ride
Is your child's bus running late? Track it here!
Temporary Changes in Transportation
Changes in transportation should be made only when necessary. If a change in routine is required, such as meeting a parent at Kiss and Ride, you must send a note to your child’s teacher on the morning of the change.
Changes for afternoon dismissal must be called into the office by 3 p.m. and will be approved by an administrator for emergencies only. This is a policy at all FCPS schools in the Hayfield Pyramid.
PLEASE NOTE: Students are not permitted to ride a different school bus than the one they are assigned. If a student is going home with a friend that is on another bus, alternate arrangements must be made.
Picking Up Your Child Early
Anyone picking up a student during school hours must provide a picture ID to office staff.
Children will not be called to the office until the parent/guardian arrives in the office, so please plan your arrival time accordingly.
Students will be released only to people other than a parent/guardian when the school has permission from the parent/guardian through listing on the emergency care form, a written letter, or a phone call to the school office.
Need more transportation information?
Afternoon Dismissal Procedures
At the end of the school day, students will be dismissed from their classrooms on the basis of how they go home (SACC, bus riders, walkers, Kiss & Ride).
- Walkers will exit through Door #5 (near the gym), and parents are asked to wait for them there.
- Kiss and Ride students will exit through Door #2 and will wait along the Kiss and Ride lane until their parents arrive at the front of the line. Please do not wait for your child anywhere else other than the designated Kiss and Ride lane. Parents should not park in any of the parking lots and ask their child(ren) to walk to meet them in order to avoid the Kiss and Ride line. Nor should parents park and wait in nearby neighborhoods. Picking up a child anywhere other than the designated lane is not safe! See our Kiss and Ride page for more information and safety tips.
- Buses depart from the parking lot on the south side of the school. Please do not park in this lot during the school day.